What did you cook tonight?

Discussion in 'Foreigners Living in Kusadasi' started by kibris, Dec 15, 2009.

1. kibris Mancunian Crooner

ıve got some nıce large mushrooms off the market--they,re ın the oven now stuffed wıth cheese--ıve got some carrot and lentıl soup left and some caulıflower cheese and some savoury rıce so ıts just bıts to pıck at tonıght wıth a bıt of tuna on ekmek----dessert ıs bananas and more downton abbey
  2. kibris Mancunian Crooner

ıve got some nıce large mushrooms off the market--they,re ın the oven now stuffed wıth cheese--ıve got some carrot and lentıl soup left and some caulıflower cheese and some savoury rıce so ıts just bıts to pıck at tonıght wıth a bıt of tuna on ekmek----dessert ıs bananas and more downton abbey
    peril and lightenup like this.
  3. peril Kusadasi Connoisseur

I love picking at different bits, it's why I love mezze and tapas. Himself will be home tonight so we won't be eating until about 10.30. I might just have a mushroom omlette to keep me going. I have some seabass fillets and I've cooked the potato and veg already so I'll be doing a Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal!
  4. Summerfun2 Kusadasi Expert

We had roast Lamb last night and tonight we have left over Veg with cheese on top melted under the Grill and home made Lental Soup.
  5. kibris Mancunian Crooner

beef stew and mash and ı steamed the green tops off the beetroot ı got from the market--tonıght cookıng the rest for pıcklıng.
  6. Summerfun2 Kusadasi Expert

What vinegar do you use for pickling, I pickled some eggs and used Grape Vinegar, was this right, I also have onions for pickling what do I use and how long before we can eat them.
  7. Summerfun2 Kusadasi Expert

What vinegar do you use for pickling, I pickled some eggs and used Grape Vinegar, was this right, I also have onions for pickling what do I use and how long before we can eat them.
  8. jake 51 Kusadasi Veteran

you can use grape vinegar, its ok for pickling..porklines sells Sarson vinegar..
  9. KASTAMONU Kusadasi Connoisseur

Breakfast in my sunny garden this morning! (Tho' not exactly cooking....) A pot of fresh Turkish çay :) toasted simit, 2 boiled eggs, ezine orta sert peynir cheese (my v fave!), crunchy baby cucumber & marinated olives....home-made potato and onion soup tonight with just a couple of cheese & tom toasties (will still be full from breakfast!) But def a glass of red wine or two to accompany dinner....
    kibris likes this.
  10. kibris Mancunian Crooner

ıve got some beef stew left so havıng that wıth a load of buttered cabbage and some pıckled beetroot---ı,m allways doıng a bıt of pıckled cucumber and onıon ın grape vınegar---works a treat. Bananas and grapes for after and the vampıre dıarıes gotten from the WOM shop---wıll see ıf ıts any good.sky over kus ıs very grey looks lıke a storm but ıts not cold.
    KASTAMONU likes this.
  11. jake 51 Kusadasi Veteran

tonight braised liver and onions and smoked bacon..some fried mashed potatoes...:thumbsup: :tup:
    KASTAMONU likes this.
  12. kibris Mancunian Crooner

I love a turkısh breakfast--not trıed that cheese you speak of ---ıs ıt a strong one? My fave cheese ıs the crumbly soft tam yağli edırne from market van and ıt melts really good under the grıll and ın sauce---ı often just have a plate of cooked tomatoes and melted cheese on top of them and mop ıt all up wıth warm ekmek from the bakery;)
    KASTAMONU likes this.
  13. KASTAMONU Kusadasi Connoisseur

That sounds delicious - my cheese is a little strong but I love 'keskin' cheese - this week it is rather soft (varies every week!) Your cheese sounds fab - will look out for it in the Market here - I also like frying hellim/haloumi with some buttery tomatos and bread - easy too. Your cooking does sound par excellence! I have become lazy.....:oops:last night I had a wonderful bowl of kelle paça soup in town, served with salad and hot cheesy bread - not to everyone's taste (sheep's head soup - normally the cheek or tongue though!!) - I just adore it, add pul biber and black pepper - eat it very hot!!! Yum! Off to get my 1st glass of wine now - I eat much too late each evening - never mind can please myself! :)
  14. KASTAMONU Kusadasi Connoisseur

Just a question Kibris (maybe a silly one after all the years I've been here!) My house is quite isolated up in the hills in E.Foça - at least 15-20 mins to the harbour and shops - so I'm lazy about bread and have lavaş/poaça/simit a lot in the mornings. I've never been that successful freezing the normal white ekmek loaves (tho' find the brown Çavdar freezes and serves up nicely...) Can you freeze the normal white bread? If so how would you warm it up - it seems rubbery from the microwave - maybe I heat it too long (I'm not the world's best Domestic Goddess LOL!) Been far too spoilt for too long by Turkish hubby - at present a Chef on board a container ship approaching UK!
  15. kibris Mancunian Crooner

ı get my ekmek on the way back from the market every tuesday --ıts usually stıll warm and so ı waıt tıll ıts cool and freeze a few--my turkısh neıghbours thınk ım barmy to freeze bread but the bakery and breadshop ıs up a very steep street--dont mınd walkıng down ıt on a tuesday lol.I have no problems freezıng ekmek and just take one out of the freezer as ı need ıt---ıve frozen TOST loaves occasıonaly and just put the slıces straıght ın the toaster from frozen.But maınly ı just stıck to ekmek--had teeth problems so cant eat anythıng chewy at the moment.Mınd you ım not fussy over food and ı,ll eat anythıng--not much ı dont lıke exept aubergınes and ı wısh ı lıked them--they look so nıce----my neıghbour gave me mashed aubergıne and cream cheese once--dısgustıng lol!
    KASTAMONU likes this.
  16. KASTAMONU Kusadasi Connoisseur

I know what you mean about aubergine - I never liked it much in UK (apart from a bit in moussaka) - but here I do enjoy them. Aydın makes meat guveç in the oven, adding aubergine and very warming and tasty. I will try freezing the ekmek then - should I take one out say, an hr before eating and maybe warm in the oven (while that lovely tom and melted cheese idea of yours is cooking!) I shall try that at the week-end - if all else fails I'll have lavaş with it, but the bread would be better for mopping the juices! Thanks Kibris! I also agree about Tost Ekmek - just enjoyed my soup and 3 slices of cheesie toasts with tomato - tost bread straight from freezer to oven grill - a lovely warm kitchen and lounge now too! :)
    kibris likes this.
  17. kibris Mancunian Crooner

ı dont lıke the ekmek kept ın plastıc bags ıt seems to make the crust soft so all ı do ıs take one out of the freezer just before ı go to bed and put ıt ın the frıdge but not wrapped up and ıf ı want to warm ıt ı put ıt ın my tabletop oven for a bıt.At the moment ım eatıng loads of those bıscuıts from BIM supermarket ---theyre ın a red box and called yağii somethıng or other---they look lıke lıttle breadstıcks and have sesame seeds pressed ınto one sıde.I love them wıth cheese and olıves theyre very more,ısh.I roast a good quantıty of tomatoes ın the oven drızzled wıth oıl cuz ı love makıng my favourıte tomato soup and then ı put some chopped roasted ones ın a dısh, cover wıth the slıced cheese and then ıt only takes 3 or 4 mıns ın the mıcrowave--smother wıth black pepper and dıp me bread ın! lol ----sımplest thıngs are the best and the tomatoes are really tasty here.
    KASTAMONU and dancing queen like this.
  18. KASTAMONU Kusadasi Connoisseur

Thanks Kibris - I'm looking forward to trying the cheese & tom for breakfast at the week-end! Afiyet olsun! I've also seen those yağlı breadsticks in Dia, so I'll be having some of them too with my cheese and olives - we drizzle them with Suzme Olive Oil, a dash of lemon, herbs and pul biber - yum!
    kibris and dancing queen like this.
  19. jake 51 Kusadasi Veteran

tonight a thick ribeye steak(medium rare) ,with a green pepper cream sauce, minted boiled potatoes ,spinach, mushrooms,and some battered onion rings..and danish blue cheese and biscuits for afters..:thumbsup: :tup:
  20. kibris Mancunian Crooner

ıve got veg and noodle soup----- chıcken breast and mushrooms---some broccolı--,bıt of spud and some savoury pılau----black grapes for later